Friday, June 17, 2011

Let it Fly in the Breeze and Get Caught in the Trees

Some of you may recognize the irony of this post, given that I'll be giving a fair amount of coverage to something not currently much in my possession, above the ears anyway. But bear with me. While my personal lack of experience in the last decade or so should be evident, that doesn't mean I don't have anything to say on the subject of hair.

Hair is one of those things, like eye color, ear size, or nose shape, that I spent a lot of time thinking about as Little G was percolating. I mean, yeah, given her parents, her hair would probably be brown, her eyes brown or hazel (jury's still out on that one), her ears big, and her nose... well, I'm not sure what her nose is supposed to look like, but it looks just fine as is.

But would she have a lot of hair? Would it be super fine? Curly? Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen?

The answer, at least initially, was this:
Dark, not terribly thick, but very much there. No bald babies in this house. Pretty typical, actually. (sidebar: you know that joke about how she's got more hair than me? That never gets old. Not even after the 87th person has said it. Yup, always funny... Just keep using it, people.)

But a curious thing happened not long after we brought LG home. Of its own volition, her hair did this:
Her first diaper change after bringing her home, and there it is: the fauxhawk. I would like to reiterate that in this instance, we did not do that on purpose. Apparently, our baby was born with hipster genes.

You might think it was a fluke. I sort of did. But day after day, there it was.
Sometimes smaller, to be sure. And sometimes, it might disappear almost entirely.
But then, the next day, sure enough, we'd get her out of the bassinet, and BOOM! FAUXHAWK!
Now, we have been known to give it a little encouragement. Occasionally, we'll straighten the hawk after bath time.
But most of the time, it needs no help at all.
Little-known fact: you can sneak up on a fauxhawk.
You can also paste it down.
But it will come back. And there's little you can do to stop it.
When you put it that way, it almost seems a little creepy.

If her eyes eventually turn hazel or brown, I'll know where it came from. Her ears are already big, and I know that's from my side of the family. But this fauxhawk? If it's genetic, I'd like to know how many generations it skipped to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment