Thursday, August 16, 2012

Many Hands Make Light Work, Unless Two of the Hands are Very Small

One of the many signs that LG is growing up (she turns 2 in less than a month) is the fact that she wants to help with everything. In some cases, it means we actually get stuff done (marginally) faster, like when she wants to help put her diapers away. It other cases, it's something you put up with because it keeps her occupied and happy, and maybe you can actually make dinner while she's pretending to chop a tomato with a butter knife. In the best scenario, it's really cool, because it lets us share activities that I already enjoy. It gives me hope that we can come to enjoy these activities together, especially once she's a little more coordinated.

In nearly every case, though, it makes a huge mess.

Take this muffin adventure from two weeks ago.
Center bottom: "No, I don't know why Dad is wearing a v-neck to make muffins."
See those dishes in the sink? Yeah, like 90 percent of them were from muffin making. Between giving LG her own bowl of ingredients for every step and trying to prevent cross-contamination with eggs, I think we used half the Gladware and bowls in the kitchen.

That said, this was a lot of fun for all concerned. LG loves wearing her apron, so giving her a valid excuse to do so rather than just letting her wear it around the house is always a plus. (Hat tip to the Sreholser's for the good Captain.) If memory serves, she was actually a bit cranky before we decided to bake, and the act of helping out actually calmed her down.

The below video may be a bit on the long side, but it's amazing (to me, at least) how calm she stayed during the whole thing. I took implements out of her hand, kept eggs away from her, and she still took it all in stride because the whole process was just so interesting to her.



Side note: Pardon my attire. I had just gotten home from work, and we decided to do this right before bed. Easier to just doff the dress shirt than change clothes, given the time constraints.

Then there are one-off tasks, which in the below instance wasn't really a task we were actively engaged in. She just wanted to sweep.

I really enjoy the sidelong glance she's giving the broom, like she just doesn't trust it.
Neither do I, sweetie. Neither do I.
The day after the muffins, we got some corn at the farmers market. I have fond memories of shucking corn with my brothers in our garage when I was young, although I remember being really bad at it. I guess this is a bone to pick with my Dad. Why did it take me so long to shuck corn?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because I did it the same way LG is attempting: a single layer of husk at a time. All the more reason to get her started early, so by age 6 or so, she can do it by herself, quickly.

Please note our choice of age-appropriate pop culture t-shirts.
I won't embed the video of the corn shucking, but you're welcome to check it out on our YouTube Channel. Feel free to hum the corn-shuckin' folk song of your choice while watching.

More recently, LG helped out in the kitchen at Hollie's parents' house. While she spent equal time eating pepperoni as actually helping, she certainly enjoyed splashing tomato sauce all over these pizzas.

Guess how many toddler handsful of cheese it takes to cover a pizza.
Answer: Way more than I have the patience for. That's why Hollie and Aunt Heather helped her on this one.
Other activities she wants to help with:

- Walking the dog: For which I need to use the extra-long leash so I have room to hold the middle so Lola doesn't drag LG down the sidewalk.

- Selecting produce at the supermarket: Okay, so I select the produce. But I do let her put it in the bag. Anything to keep her in the cart.

- Wiping her tray after dinner: She barely lets us clean her face after any given meal, but give her the wet washcloth afterward, and she'll wipe all manner of smeared apple sauce, yogurt or mushed peas off of her tray. Granted, most of this ends up on the floor, but that's when the dog helps out.

Everybody pulls their own weight somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment