Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Status Update: 2 Years, 1 Month

Another year, another doctor's visit. In the interest of continuity, here are the vitals:

Weight: ~27 pounds - 47.5%
Her exact measured weight was 27.8 lbs, but they weighed her with clothes on. I need my data accurate, people!
This represents a 5-pound gain from her 15-month weigh-in, and brings her within spitting distance of average, up to almost 48% from 35% at 15 months, and 26% at 12 months.

Height: 34 inches - 45.2%
As ever, she's wiggly. I rate the margin of error at about .25 inches.
That's 4 inches of growth in nine months, which sounds kind of crazy when you write it out. And it actually drops her percentile by a few points, from 50% to 45%, but well within the margin of error. It should also be noted that I checked these figures against three different sets of weight/height charts, and the percentile scores ranged from 42% to 52%. Clearly, it depends on the data sets you use as your baseline. 

I still contend that the numbers are open to interpretation. Since these charts compare your kid to the aggregate of all other kids, and since the obesity epidemic in the U.S. pushes younger kids' weights higher, it's not clear to me whether I'm comparing her weight against an ideal weight distribution for her age, or a modern, super-fat distribution. Help me, science! You're my only hope!

One finger prick and two shots, and this visit finished pretty quickly, according to Hollie. As I understand it, the doctor used the words "perfect" and "impressive" more than once. When the doctor first arrived in the exam room, she did so to LG pointing at one of her books saying, "It's a blue heron, Mama!" That'll do, LG. That'll do.

The trauma of the shots didn't last long, either, but then, I suppose that's the purpose of the lollipop bucket at the receptionist's desk.

Lemon? Really? Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment