Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Blogging Tweets & Facebook Posts: The Internet Collapses Into Itself

One of the things I struggle with as a blogger (even one as unreliable as me) in this ever-connected world is whether or not I should share a particular piece of information via the blog or some other social platform. If I snap a cute picture of LG on my phone, can I write a story about it, or should I just post it to Facebook? If she utters an utterly jaw-dropping non-sequitur in the car, will I remember it to write about later, or should I tweet it immediately?

Granted, social media is my actual job, so it's possible I think about this more than most people.

But the biggest problem with sharing these awesome experiences on Facebook and Twitter is that those platforms are ephemeral. With the blog, I've got a great archive (however spotty) of the weird and wacky things my kid says and does.

So in an effort to collect these recollections in one place, I now present the first blog post dedicated to the random quotes, pictures and stories that have appeared elsewhere. Fair game: My Facebook, Hollie's Facebook and my (languishing) Twitter feed.

1/15/2011 - Matt's Twitter
My daughter and my vehicle inspection were both due in September. Guess which one happened and which one I just got pulled over for.

1/27/2011 - Matt's Twitter
My wife tells me I'm not allowed to tweet about poop. This is not such a tweet. But man, if I was allowed, would I have a crazy tweet!

3/11/2011 - Matt's Twitter
I realize it is unreasonable to expect this every night, but LG just woke up from 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep IN HER CRIB. #happydance

6/6/2011 - Matt's Twitter
LG's third tooth just popped through. If I do my job as a parent correctly, she will never have fewer teeth than this.

7/26/2011 - Matt's Twitter
My baby thinks she's a dog and my dog thinks she's people. In related news I need to babyproof the dog's bowl and dogproof the diaper bag.

9/20/2011 - Matt's Twitter
And the streak is over. On her 373rd day, LG got sick.

12/3/2011 - Matt's Twitter
LG slept on her hair funny last night, such that it looks like she's wearing a Bumpit (TM).

12/12/2011 - Matt's Facebook
Hollie isn't feeling well, and her voice has been giving out from time to time. As I was getting LG out of her carseat, the following conversation transpired.

Hollie: I hope I have what she had (LG was sick last week), so she doesn't get sick.
Me: I don't know. She didn't sound hoarse at all when she was sick.
LG: Neigh! Neigh!


12/14/2011 - Hollie's Facebook
Awesome morning with the little one. We "brushed the teeth" of every toy in the house. This basically consisted of going over to every toy, smacking it in the mouth-area with her old infant toothbrush, and shouting "TEETH!"

12/14/2012 - Matt's Twitter
Apparently my daughter has said "apple" and "teeth" today. I miss being home with her.

12/14/2011 - Hollie's Facebook

Animals with clean mouths: teddy bears, baby dolls, santa pillow, snoopy, dinosaur, and of course bugs. Yes, our bugs have the cleanest teeth. :)

2/9/2012 - Matt's Twitter
LG prefers her kids songs to the radio in the car, but then La Bamba came on and she happily sang to herself. I don't know what that means.

3/13/2012 - Hollie's Facebook
We found a spinosaurus, a hadrosaur, an ankylosaurus, a stegosaurus and a velociraptor all before lunch. Hey, paleontologists, you're looking in the wrong place. Our sandbox is apparently THE dig site.

3/19/2012 - Matt's Twitter
Last day of winter, 5:56 pm. Awesome.

4/25/2012 - Hollie's Facebook
All afternoon, LG picks up maple seeds all over the lawn, holds them above her head and shouts "BABY TREE!"
This may be my proudest moment as a mother. :)


6/6/2012 - Matt's Facebook
Behold! A picture of something I made sitting on another something I made! One is infinitely cuter, and it's the one with which I had help from Hollie.
Hint: it's the one in the hat.
7/13/2012 - Hollie's Facebook
I have never seen a child so distraught as mine at the thought of three little kittens being denied pie. She says "no pie" with all the empathy a toddler can muster.

10/8/2012 - Matt's Facebook
LG: this is my skull. (points to top of head)
Hollie: it protects your brain.
LG: like a helmet. It's my brain helmet.

Your skull: it's like a brain helmet.


10/12/2012 - Hollie's Facebook
LG and I played hide and seek at the park this afternoon. Can you find her?

10/15/2012 - Matt's Facebook
This picture just about sums up the weekend.



But to belabor the point: pumpkin pancakes, wagon ride to pumpkin patch, pumpkin picking, hay maze, corn maze, slow cooker chili, making chicken stock, stacking firewood, building a scarecrow, carving pumpkins (with a Dremel, thankyouverymuch).


11/25/2012 - Matt's Facebook
I am a paleontologist. 
(That's what I am. That's what I am.)
12/17/2012 - Matt's Facebook
LG: Daddy, this is my flower.
Me: It's beautiful! What color is it?
LG It's purple, and his name is Andrew.


1/5/2013 - Matt's Facebook
Me: If you want a milkshake, you have to eat more of your French fries.

I am an excellent father.


1/6/2013 - Hollie's Facebook
My child has her preggo mom's number.

LG in Target: "Look! Cookies to share with mama!"

Guess who is munching a cookie right now?


1/18/2013 - Matt's Facebook
My parents may be the only people who appreciate the significance of this, but it pleases me to no end that LG spent most of the car ride home tonight singing Roger Miller's "Do Wacka Do," and asking to hear it over and over.

1/23/2013 - Hollie's Facebook
Storytime with LG

LG: There was a green bug, and he said, "Oh my! My foot hurts!"
Mama: Why did his foot hurt?
LG: Because a crab pinched his toes. He went to the doctor and said, "Oh my! My foot hurts! I need a band aid." The doctor gave him a band aid. He said, "Oh my! That feels better."

The End.


1/27/2013 - Matt's Facebook
Sports with LG

This morning we played a game she invented called "soccer."

First you hit the soccer ball (plastic pear) with the baseball bat (plastic cucumber).

If you're lucky, you hit the pins (6 Weebles arranged in a triangle).

Run. Scream. Repeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment