Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A letter to my unborn son: 10 Reasons You Should Try to be Born Today

Dear G2,

Yes, I realize you're not technically due until March 28, and with every passing day it seems more likely that we'll have to wait 'til then to meet you. But if you'll indulge me, I'd like to make a case for why it wouldn't be such a bad thing to be born today.

1. It's the last day of Winter! It's the first day of Spring! It's crazy confusing, but it's sort of neat. Most of the time, the Vernal Equinox happens on March 20, like today, when it officially happened at 7:02 a.m. Then every once in a while, like 2007, the Equinox will fall on March 21, and it'll make you wonder whether or not you've been imagining your birthday's significance your whole life.

2. A bunch of really cool people were born on March 20. It may not mean much to you now, but it's epically cool to share a birthday with Mr. Rogers and Big Bird. (Side note: I'm going to try very hard to make you understand how awesome Fred Rogers was. We could all stand to be better neighbors.) And if that doesn't doesn't do it for you, maybe you'll appreciate sharing a birthday with the 10th Doctor's second companion, Martha Jones (or at least Freema Agyeman). (Another side note: if you can't come today, wait 'til Friday. It's Captain Kirk's birthday. Not William Shatner. JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK!)

3. You can get free Rita's Water Ice on March 20 and pretend they made a holiday just for you.

4. You'll be a cusp sign of Pisces/Aries. Super confusing, at least to any of your friends who are super into the Zodiac. They'll spend hours trying to draw a star chart for you, and you can just laugh and doodle a fish with a goat's head. Good times.

5. Your mom is tired, and would like to bring you into the world ASAP. The whole let's-pretend-I'm-coming-out for 4-6 hours every other evening is getting a little old. You can do better.

6. I'd like to introduce you to the joys of Cherry Black Forest Cake. Your mom isn't wild about chocolate cake and your sister apparently doesn't like cherries. You're my last hope.

7. Albert Einstein published his general theory of relativity today in 1916. This is pretty significant, and will mean a lot more when I'm helping you with your physics homework in 16 years or so.

8. Here's a good reason you should be born in the next 8 hours or so. There's a good chance we're going to get slushy accumulation overnight tonight, so I'd rather get your mom to the hospital before that happens. Got it? Thanks.

9. As long as your mom doesn't go into labor in the next few hours, I'm going to see Demetri Martin in person at the bookstore next to my office. How cool would it be if that were only the second most awesome thing to happen today? Pretty awesome, is the answer to that question.

10. In addition to the cool people I mentioned above, it's my birthday today. And I can't imagine a better gift than meeting you. Come on out and scream, "hi!" It'll be a good day, I promise.

You've got 13 hours or so. Get to it, buddy.

Sincerely,
Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment