Friday, May 31, 2013

Status Update: Two Months After Mega Baby

I didn't write about this when G2 was born, possibly because having two kids dramatically reduced my capacity to do anything but take care of two kids, but our son was a big newborn. Not scary big, but big. Nine pounds, three ounces--90th percentile-big.

Interestingly, we were given no indication during Hollie's pregnancy that this was the case (a marked contrast to LG's time in utero). He measured right-on-the-money average at every single checkup; until the day he was to be born, when a concerned nurse suggested a last-minute ultrasound to check if he might be on the large side. One scan later, she estimated his weight at 9 lbs, 6 oz; remarkably close to the truth, given how inaccurate full-term ultrasounds usually are.

All of that said, he didn't look big. When you compare pictures of LG and G2 at one-day old, there's not much difference.
Yeah, so I see some differences now, but in the first 24 hours, I would've sworn it was the same kid.
Fast forward two months, and they still look remarkably similar. I'd often wondered whether or not my kids would resemble each other, mostly because my brothers and I didn't (at least not when we were kids. Now that we're all bald, there's no doubt we're related.)

And that brings us to his two-month checkup. Four shots, one oral vaccine, and couple of measurements. For all his initial bigness, and as much as he seems bigger that I remember LG being, he's nearly average.

For those of you who don't speak metric, that's 12 lbs 1 oz, or 58th percentile. 

Similarly, his length is 23 1/2 inches, for 53rd percentile.

And for all the other milestones that matter, things are right on track. One thing I don't remember from when LG was an infant was how quickly certain things happen. For instance, one day G2 wasn't tracking faces, and the next day he was. One day he didn't really grab things, and the next day he could. I remember being aware of transitions with LG in a way that I'm not with G2, and I don't know whether or not the in-between spots were in my imagination.

Or maybe he's transitioning from one milestone to the next while I'm watching his sister. He's only been around two months, and they've already worked out the art of misdirection.

Who? Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment