Monday, June 17, 2013

Lessons in Fatherhood: "Man of Steel" Edition

This Father's Day weekend, I was fortunate enough to see Man of Steel, which you'll note was on my to-do list back in early March. I'm especially grateful to Hollie for this, as most of that to-do list sadly sits undone. And given our son's name, it's especially appropriate that this is the movie I get to cross off that list. Another shout out to Peter and Steven, who also abandoned their kids for three hours to go see a man in tights beat up some other dudes in tights.

As it turns out, it's no accident the movie was released Father's Day weekend, since the main emotional through-line of the film is a father's (or more than one father, in this case) sacrifice for his son. The film would like you to believe that Jor-El and Pa Kent were paragons of virtue, willing to do whatever it takes to be the best fathers they could be. Whether or not the film successfully makes this point, well... that's another thing entirely.

So in the spirit of Father's Day, I present to you "Lessons in Fatherhood: Man of Steel Edition." (For the wary, or those who plan to see the movie, fair warning, SPOILERS ahead.)

DO
...Protect your family from harm, even in the face of death. Jor-El faces off against General Zod early in the film, giving his wife, Lara Lor-Van, enough time to safely launch their son into space, thus saving young Kal-El from Zod's stated intention to murder him AND from Krypton's imminent destruction. As a father, I'd like to think I've got the fortitude necessary to protect my children in the face of catastrophe or murderous military leaders with questionable haircuts.

DON'T
...Make a computer program that preserves your own consciousness and likeness (effectively granting yourself eternal life) so that you can interact with your child as though you'd never died, but NOT do the same for your wife. That's just a jerk move, Jor-El.

DO
...Care for the helpless. Jonathan Kent (along with Martha) opens his home to a child whose history, nay entire being, he can't hope to comprehend. The compassion necessary to make such a commitment is extraordinary. That single act not only gives the world Superman, but provides the basis for Superman's actions as a hero. Would that I can impart such compassion to my children.

DON'T
...Sacrifice yourself to save the family dog. It's just not worth it. Your son is Superman. He just saved like five people from a tornado. If the dog has to live, let your son do it. Because now, he has to live with the fact that he could've saved you, but stopped when you conveyed a look that said, "No. Your secret as an alien with superpowers is too important to waste on saving me, your adopted father, even though at least 30 people in our town have already seen you do crazy stuff, and we just had an argument where you yelled at me. My death is too important as a source of guilt. With great power comes great responsibility. Wait, what franchise am I in?"

Kids, if you're reading this, please remember something very important. I will never sacrifice my life to save the dog. And if it looks like I'm going to, and you have the power to stop me, or save me with no harm to yourself, please do it.

If you take nothing else from this blog ever, let it be this: I am more important than the dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment