Friday, August 19, 2011

In Which Bugs are Consumed

Sometime last week my mom told me that at some point, LG will probably eat dog food. Nothing to be done about it; it won't hurt her. But it will likely happen. I didn't disagree.

That brings us to last Sunday, when LG ate a bug... that I fed to her... on purpose.

Last weekend was Bug Fest at the Academy of Natural Sciences, where Hollie works. I took LG in to check out the exhibits and visit Hollie. I did not go with the intention of feeding her bugs, but, you know, an opportunity presented itself.

Lest you think I swiped a random arthropod from a display table and popped it in her mouth, this was at the end of a bug cooking demo. We missed the portion of the program where the cook prepared these little guys, but I didn't want to pass up the chance to try the extras.
Those are fried crickets, sprinkled with spices, which, if I had to guess, included salt, chili powder, and cayenne. I hesitated a second or two before letting LG eat these, but it was more because of the spicy hotness than the fact that these were bugs.

As it turned out, LG loved 'em. This is not surprising, however. As I've mentioned before, she'll eat almost anything. And for that, I am glad.

I know it may change. I know there's a high degree of likelihood that at some point in the next six months, she'll refuse to eat anything except for hot dogs and white bread. But while it lasts, she'll get whatever we eat, and then some.

In the last two weeks, she's had fish, indian food, (which included tamarind, water chestnuts and baby corn, among other things), Five Guys french fries (fried in peanut oil), and any one of numerous things she's found on the floor that I'm not fast enough to grab out of her mouth.

I know we're lucky that she doesn't have any food allergies, so I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster (with tomato sauce, which she also eats) for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment